Fosamax is a prescription medication used to treat bone loss and improve bone health from conditions like osteoporosis and Paget’s disease. A bisphosphonate that is helpful in suppressing the activity of elements that cause bone loss, Fosamax restores bone health in elderly and post-menopause men and women. The generic name of Fosamax is Alendronate and it is taken as a tablet once a day on an empty stomach. Dosage varies depending on the loss of bone health and the severity of a patient’s diseases.
Fosamax Benefits: As we grow older, our bones become thinner, losing their structure, heaviness and needed minerals. Menopause aggravates this condition as it results in lack of estrogen, which in turn, collapses bone health and mass. Fosamax is great for anyone suffering from osteoporosis or Paget’s disease. It works to stop depletion of bones, preventing formation of thin bones or loss of bone mass. It adds up to our body’s Calcium content, invigorating it with new energy and minerals in order to help it build stronger and healthier new bones.
Fosamax Dosage: The drug is taken once a day every week in the morning on an empty stomach with a glass of water. Nothing should be taken for about 30 minutes and the patient should not lie down or rest as the drug may harm the esophagus. Some who have very low bone density are advised to take the medication daily, resulting in severe side effects and irritable conditions in the body. Most of these side effects tend to be gastrointestinal like esophagus reflex.
Fosamax side effects: When taken daily, Fosamax may result in many mild to moderate to critical side effects. Very common side effects of the drug include:
1. Acid reflux and heartburn on account of improper dosage of the drug. Since Fosamax is a high-intensity drug, the manufacturer advises patients to stand erect for about 30 to 60 minutes after swallowing the drug.
2. Digestive problems which include extreme constipation, sour stomach and nausea
3. Irritable Bowel Syndrome which is caused when the drug acts vibrantly in the gastrointestinal region, resulting in irritable bowels
4. Headaches, vomiting and swallowing problems. Headaches can be severe if the drug is taken for a long period.
5. Esophageal ulcers – The ultimate victim of the drug is the esophagus.
6. Muscle and joint pain due to lack of bone health.
7. Osteonecrosis or huge bone loss in joints like jaw, hip and spine which can lead to collapse of body tissues, leading to death. This is a highly critical condition and occurs only if the patient has been on Fosamax for a long time.
8. Signs of overdose can result in esophagitis, vaginal bleeding, hypocalcemia, gastritis etc.
PLEASE NOTE : OnlinePharmacyForum.Com recommends personal consultation with a doctor. The dangers in buying medications online include the online drugstore selling counterfeit, expired or contaminated medications to you. Sometimes the drugs that you receive may have been prepared by unethical means or using unusual substances. This is why you should buy drugs from a licensed and FDA-approved pharmacy; after consulting with a doctor and getting a valid prescription.