Never in history has depression been a common ailment as it is now. With millions of people suffering from suicidal thoughts every year, treating patients with depression has become easy and commonplace. However, not all drugs or antidepressants work with every patient. There are several drugs available in the market and each one varies in composition and effectiveness. Only your doctor can tell which drug would be suitable for you, depending on the severity of your depressed state and symptoms.
Elavil for depression treatment: Elavil or amitriptyline is a common drug used in the treatment of symptoms of depression. Belonging to the clan of tricyclic antidepressants, Elavil works by affecting or controlling the chemicals in the brain which cause mood swings or depressive states in an individual. The drug has also other uses like prevention of chronic pain, treatment of eating disorder or bulimia and pathological weeping and laughing associated with multiple sclerosis.
Elavil – Do’s, Don’ts and Dangers: Elavil is a tricyclic antidepressant that works like other antidepressant by controlling the mood-inducing chemicals in the brain. Though an effective drug, it needs to be gradually built into the system to show its benefits. With Elavil, you always need to have patience. Here are a few do’s, don’ts and limitations of using Elavil for depression treatment:
1. Don’t stop Elavil halfway. The drug takes time to show results. It needs to acclimatize itself to the body’s system and then, work its way to treating your depression. If you do not find any immediate results, wait and continue taking the drug for some more time. If you are still not happy with the results, contact your doctor stating your problem.
2. Do not skip doses unless recommended by your physician. Elavil is an antidepressant which requires a pre-planned withdrawal because of the drug’s addictive nature. Missing a dose due to lack of results can aggravate your depression, wait for the prescribed time mentioned by your doctor and then, look for change of drug if Elavil does not meet your expectations even then. Also, do not overdose yourself if you miss a dose. Taking two drugs at a time can cause life-threatening conditions.
3. With Elavil, withdrawal is difficult but not critical and painful. A well-planned withdrawal works out. So, do not stop taking the drug abruptly. Reduce the dosage step by step to avoid acute withdrawal symptoms.
4. Avoid sunlight when you are taking Elavil as the drug makes your skin sensitive to sunlight. Wear protective clothing, sunglasses and avoid going out in direct sunlight as much as possible.
5. Elavil has the tendency to induce drowsiness in patients. So avoid doing work that demands you to be on high alert. Avoid driving or heavy machinery unless you want to meet with accidents.
6. Elavil side effects range from moderate to severe. Some of them include persistent dizziness, headache, jaundice, abnormal bruising or bleeding, rise in suicidal thoughts, fever, chills, dark-colored urine, speaking problems, problems that cause tingling or numbness in legs. Abnormal mental moods, disorientation, confusion, panic attacks, hostility, aggression, anxiety, agitation – are also some of the other side effects.
PLEASE NOTE : OnlinePharmacyForum.Com recommends personal consultation with a doctor. The dangers in buying medications online include the online drugstore selling counterfeit, expired or contaminated medications to you. Sometimes the drugs that you receive may have been prepared by unethical means or using unusual substances. This is why you should buy drugs from a licensed and FDA-approved pharmacy; after consulting with a doctor and getting a valid prescription.